Thursday 16 July 2015

Retro Swimwear

Do you have any holidays coming up? Even a little staycation where you might actually get near a pool? You've probably spent more time that you would have anticipated mulling over your swimwear! It might be time to try out a retro style swimsuit...

Swimwear as an element of fashion practically exploded in the 1950's and 60's. It was finally totally acceptable to expose your legs and arms on the beach and designers clamoured to create the most beautiful swimwear imaginable! It opened up a whole new avenue on which to show off their clothing. 

I'm quite the pear shape so I love how much coverage these original swimsuits gave to the bum, no dental floss for me, thank you very much!!! But whatever your shape or size I'm pretty sure you could find a retro style to flatter and enhance what your mama gave you... 






How stunning are both of these! If I owned either as a swimsuit I'd be fairly hesitant in getting water anywhere near them!!!



Caroline and I both own original vintage swimsuits from the 1950's (I won't be posting up any images of us wearing them mind!) which we got at different vintage fairs over the years.
The originals are amazing and you can try sourcing them on Etsy or Ebay but this might not be everyone's cup of tea as you can't try them on.
Luckily, retro style swimsuits are pretty easy to find online and on the high street. Just take a look at these fabulous numbers that take their inspiration from the pinup girls and the 1950's and 60's.








These are all from Unique Vintage which is a great American site with lots of retro styled fashion for all sizes. I'm a little bit bonkers about the last red striped two-piece and I'm thinking I might need it for my next holiday! Don't forget to add the extra customs and charges when your calculating your total!




These pretty vintage style numbers are from Floozie by Frost French. They are available in Debenhams

Black and white stripes are always a chic choice and this high waisted bikini from Next gives a happy little nod to the 60's. Just add a wide brimmed hat and big sunglasses for a Bardot babe look!

Not only can you find the originals there but Etsy is a great place to look for amazing handmade vintage style swimwear too

No comments: