Monday 8 June 2015

Fashion Icons Through The Ages: The Glamourous 30's: Part 2

Myrna Loy

When Myrna's career began she seemed to be destined to be typecast into roles of either vamp or Oriental temptress/villain. That was until she was cast in "The Thin Man" with William Powell. This was her breakout role and saw her stardom rise astronomically to become the most prolific actress of her generation. She starred in a whole series of "Thin Man" sequels and repeatedly worked with Clarke Gable and William Powell; the two hottest actors of the 30's. Myrna had so many huge roles it was really hard to narrow down which pictures to share with you. With so much exposure it's not hard to imagine how Myrna became such a massive fashion icon. Take a look for yourself at the "Queen of the Movies!". 



Just look at that face!!!






















Mae West

Well now, Mae could never be described as a shrinking violet! She is probably one of the most controversial ladies in our whole icon series and seemed to be in constant battle with the censorship industry. Like many others actors in the Golden age she started out in Vaudeville. Mae was witty, full of personality and oozed sex appeal. Her movie career surprisingly only began when she was close to 40 (practically unheard of in those days) and lasted for decades. It included work in radio, Broadway and Vegas. Today, Mae West is probably as well known for her sharp and spunky quotes as she is for her film work.

"When I'm good, I'm very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better!"

"I don't like myself, I'm crazy about myself!"

"I didn't discover curves, I only uncovered them"

I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure."

Quite the little minx right? Mae West we salute you! 





















Ginger Rogers

I'm pretty sure Ginger Rogers needs no introduction. She is phenomenally well known for her dancing partnership with Fred Astaire. Miss Rogers is another screen siren who started in Vaudeville but quickly moved onto the stage and motion pictures. Not only did Ginger star in over 70 films but she also won an Academy Award and was at one point the highest paid woman in America!!! Her dancing chemistry with Fred Astaire was astonishing and cinema goers marvelled at their footwork. But Ginger is a star in her own right and a fashion icon as well as a dance icon.  




How cute is this sporty look!








Despite being a more casual look, this is one of my favourites!









No comments: